Friday, April 8, 2011

Rescue

April 8, 2011
Rescued
It’s not been such a good year.  Since the surgery in January, now cancer free, recovery took a long time.  I was in the house mid January through early March, except for doctor appointments.  Steady visits from my wonderful friends kept me from being a recluse.  But as soon as I was strong, in mid March, I started a very nasty chemo, which is worse than the surgery.  Up till then, I didn’t feel sorry for myself, and I am not used to that.
I’d been thinking about getting a dog.  I know a dog will get me out and allow me to give to someone without talking about my chemo, my energy, my hair.  Pets don’t care about that stuff.  Especially if you are pathetic, because they do believe that their needs fully override yours.  
I work in a shelter, so I get first looks at the shelter dogs.  I needed:
  1. An older dog.
  2. A mellow dog.
  3. A trainable dog (not a project).
  4. Issues that I can work with and train (basic obedience, house breaking).
  5. A dog that likes exercise and long naps.
  6. A Labrador retriever.
Now #6 was a wish.  I would never purchase a lab.  All my cats were rescues (or strays) and I wanted a shelter dog.  I had little hope for a dog #1 -5 from the shelter and a lab.
But St. Hubert’s received a bunch of sweet Labs from a breeder.  They were mostly if not all females, all breeders.  One in particular drew me.  Annie, a yellow girl.  I kept her in my office 8am - noon for 2 days, and  I returned her to the kennel to be viewed for adoption at noon.  On Tuesday I knew that I was offered a gift from the gods, and to not take Anne would be a big mistake.  I was in love, the way I saw adopters fall in love when they visit with their potential dogs in the kitchen.
So Annie - now Lucy - is mine.  And she is more than I could have hoped for.  She is sweet, attentive, playful, smart, and very, very trainable.   She likes dogs, cats, and strangers on the street.  She has no fear and is very, very curious.  To me, curiousity is a sign of intelligence.  I’ve already been out with her for long walks.  Today we walked and she played at the dog park.   I would never have been out without her.  Her needs fully override mine.  She is a gift, and for the first time, I feel very, very lucky.  I feel healthy today.
Here’s what I learned:  
  1. For me, getting a dog made me forget that I am in chemo. 
  2. She makes me forget about my hair.  I didn’t want to be seen in a wig or hat.  Now, I don’t care.
  3. Giving love is as good if not better than getting love.  So her belly rubs are symbiotic.
  4. You lose who you are with sickness.  I am not sick, but I feel defined now by being a cancer survivor and a chemo patient.  I have no patience, my humor is strained.  But with Lucy, I am me, and I am the best me; I am defined by my self from before November, and I have little thoughts except of caring for Lucy and myself.
To Becky, Lauren, Drew, Kathy, Kim and Joanne and all the shelter staff at St. H, Thank you for your unwavering support and your faith in me and in Lucy.

1 comment:

  1. She knows! I swear, they know! She knows you saved her! Look how happy that dog is! Aren't both of you lucky! She's a very pretty girl. And, I like her name.

    Best of (continued) luck to both of you!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete